Closed Primaries

Why do I have to declare a political party?

You are not required to declare a party preference. However, you should know Florida is a closed primary state. In a primary election, voters may only vote for candidates in their party. By not selecting a party, you limit your vote in the primaries to only non-partisan candidates and issues. The only exception is a Universal Primary Contest (UPC). A UPC is a contest in a primary election in which all candidates have the same party affiliation and the winner will have no opposition in the general election. All qualified electors may vote on a UPC regardless of party affiliation. In the general election, party affiliation is not an issue. You may vote for any candidate, regardless of party preference.

When and how do I change my party preference?

A party affiliation may be changed at anytime. However, when the registration books are closed for an election, voter registration and party changes will be accepted but only for the purpose of future elections. Party changes may be submitted on a Florida Voter Registration Application or by signed, written request which includes either your date of birth or your voter identification number. Requests should be mailed to PO Box 300, Dade City FL 33526.